Password instructions will be e-mailed to you
Confirmation will be e-mailed to you
Lost Password
Register
Dismiss
Dismiss

editing posts in the soup

Home Forums The Soup editing posts in the soup

This topic contains 11 replies, has 4 voices, and was last updated by Avatar Gattaldo 2 months, 2 weeks ago.

• Author
    Clare Cambridge
    Participant

I have a specific question regarding the posting in the soup.  If I need to edit a post that has been published, how do I go about it.

There isn’t an option to update it.  The only actions are view, unpublish, conceal.  Sorry if I’m being stupid.

Should I unpublished edit and then publish again?  If I do this would it affect my social links, where I have posted to?

Also on my last post     https://buryhillfarmbristol.com/a-trendy-cocktail-bar-with-a-difference-bristol/      for some reason it hasn’t gone into the soup, I don’t think I clicked conceal, which I understand that will stop it being posted into the soup.  How do I now get it into the soup.

Could someone help please. That’s 3 questions, would really appreciate help.

Hi Clare,

Mea Culpa, I deliberately made it that way in the current version, and I think it needs to be changed. Yes, in order to make a change you can unpublish, edit and then republish. It should not affect your social sharing, and was designed to get authors to realise that when you publish – it’s out there. You can’t change the past “that it was published, in its original form”. I accept this was not a great design decision of mine, and will correct this in future releases.

The other (much simpler) way to change an existing, published post, is to use the builtin WP editor (under the Posts menu). With that one you can simply edit and update (which is what I will put into the next release of The Waiter.

As for the post, it was published on the 21st when you created it at https://vacationsoup.com/a-trendy-cocktail-bar-with-a-difference-bristol/. All seems OK with it.

F

Clare Cambridge
    Participant

Hi Francis,  thank you for your reply and answering all of my questions.  I will try editing via the builtin WP editor.  I didn’t realise you could do that.

I (and I’m sure others) appreciate your help and advise and patience,  with  being non techy,  although I am getting there and every thing I’m learning is sticking.

Gattaldo
    Participant

Hi Francis,

the problem with that is that it does not give me the option to preview the entry either. When I press preview, it just pops same thing in a box 9not a preview). I use Safari on a Mac if that helps.

I also have not been able to embed a video from YouTube or Vimeo using the code in text. I noticed that others seem to have the same issue because I have come across other owners’ blog entries with the code showing instead of the actual video. How do I resolve this please?

I also mentioned to Alan that it would be helpful marketing-wise if readers were able to comment on the blog entries, creating more conversation with our target audience. It would be wise for the blog writer to have the facility to moderate the comments. Would this be possible? WordPress blogs usually also have a sharing of blogs with other blog writers which creates even more interaction. Is that also possible with VS?

Many thanks.

Clare Cambridge
    Participant

Hi Gattaldo  I usually save my post as a draft (before publishing)  and then it will be saved on the right under “your recent posts”  and there will be icon on the picture of your post the one on the right is “view locally in tab”  there you will be able to see what you post looks like and you can edit it if needed, with the button on the left (in the picture)

Francis said about that when they update the soup we will be able to edit posts, if needed after they are published.

With regards to the maps,  I think and hope, maybe you could check mine  http://www.buryhillfarmbristol.com that I can now get the maps embeded on my posts.  I followed Alan’s instructions (or link to video)  and entered it as in the text mode and then clicked back on visual and it was there.  I check all my posts, I use chrome and from my view the maps are there as they should be.

Hope that might help in the meantime.   Clare

Gattaldo
    Participant

Hi Francis, I’m still having issues embedding a youtube video in my post. I’ve put the embed code in TEXT and the video appears at first but isn’t there once it’s published.

alan egan
    Keymaster

Hello Aldo,

The way to do this is to only add the youtube url (not the embed code).

When in Youtube, click the share button, then click copy. The paste the link into your article.

Please note… The url needs to be on its own line when inserted into the post.

You can add the link in visual or text mode.

• This reply was modified 2 months, 3 weeks ago by Avatar alan egan.
    Gattaldo
    Participant

Thank you Alan. Will that present itself as the actual video or simply a link in the finished article?

alan egan
    Keymaster

It will show the video

Gattaldo
    Participant

Hi Clare and Francis,

The “view locally in tab” icon in a saved draft does not take me to a preview. Has Francis updated the Soup yet? Most of my blog entries have spaces where they shouldn’t and have picture credits that seem to blend into the copy making my entries look untidy and unprofessional. Since I’ve had to publish, then unpublished for a couple of times before the final publish, Soup’s twitter is littered with links to my blank unpublished entries.

Many thanks.

Aldo

Hi Aldo & Clare,

I am working on the Waiter (the WordPress plugin) currently, I expect to publish a new version today as long is it passes all the tests.

The target for the release should include:

• Fix View Locally on Draft posts
    • Add Update button when editing published posts
    • Fix multiple synchronisation issues
    • Add support for TranslatePress

This is a minor update, as we are busy with a major development on the main Soup (that you will all love, but I must keep it under wraps for now), and after that we will be doing a major re-write on the Waiter as well, now that Gutenberg has gained traction. The target for the re-write is the end of this quarter as a rough guide. I hope this will address all your issues, at least until we can publish Waiter 2.0, but please do say if the list above is missing anything important.

F

Gattaldo
    Participant

Thank you Francis.

We look forward to both the minor and the major developments.

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.