Password instructions will be e-mailed to you
Confirmation will be e-mailed to you
Lost Password
Register
Dismiss
Dismiss

Google searches find pages I haven't created

Home Forums Creating A Vacation Rental Website Google searches find pages I haven't created

This topic contains 9 replies, has 3 voices, and was last updated by Avatar alan egan 2 weeks, 4 days ago.

• Author
    Liz
    Participant

When I search for key words and my site on Google, the search results give me a page with just a photo on it. It isn’t a page I have created, although it is a photo on my site. I recall that there may be something in one of Alan’s videos about tagging photos, but I am not sure. Does anyone have any suggestions on what I can do about this or where I should look in Alan’s videos? Thanks in advance!

alan egan
    Keymaster

Hello Liz.

What’s your website address and what page did Google display?

Liz
    Participant

Hi Alan,

Thanks for you questions. So our web address is http://www.escapetobohinj.com

An example is if i search for “family hiking escape to bohinj” the second google hit is

Family hiking, Prsevic, Julian Alps, Slovenia

I have never created this page, but it appears with one of our photos. Quite a few of my searches on Google results in a page with a photo from my website, but not a page I have created.

Any thoughts much appreciated.

alan egan
    Keymaster

Hi Liz,

I think that this is the result of good SEO. I’m guessing that you used family hiking escape to bohinj as your title and alt text and Google is picking up on that. In effect each and every image has it’s own url so WordPress can display each image in it’s own right.

Liz
    Participant

Hi Alan,

That’s useful to know that each picture has its own url. I suppose what I need to know is, how do I get Google to identify my blog post, rather than for it to find a picture on an empty page? So for example, if I Google “wildflower festival 2019 escape to bohinj”, the second and third listing are photo urls, but my blog post entitled “Wild Flower Festival 2019, Lake Bohinj” doesn’t come up. Even if I put the exact words in for my blog post on wildflowers, the first url to come up for my website is one of an image.

Incidentally, I don’t know if this has any relevance, but when I first posted the blog on the wildflowers, it did come up on the first page of Google when searched. For some reason the formatting on my blog page changed from small snippets to a long stream and I couldn’t seem to get it back. So I re-created the Blog page (called Bohinj Journal). I now have the look I would like, but my blog posts don’t seem to be appearing in Google searches. For example, my most recent blog post that I did 2 weeks ago titled “Family skiing at Vogel” doesn’t come up at all when I search “Family skiing at Vogel Lake Bohinj”. Instead the third page of Google offers my other blog post entitled “Vogel Ski Centre – Affordable Skiing in Europe”.

I appreciate this is very detailed and may be part of the Google algorithm, but if you have any insights, then please let me know. I have a feeling that my blog posts are not being found by Google.

Many thanks, as eve, Alan.

Liz
    Participant

A quick follow-up on this: Looking through my sitemap settings on Yoast, the “Media & Attachment URLs” setting was “No” – it looks like there was a bug which resulted in this defaulting to this. I’ve changed it to “Yes”, which is what Yoast recommend, as this should make hits on the images send users to the pages rather than just the image file…

Thanks,

Liz

alan egan
    Keymaster

Hello Liz,

If I carry out an exact match search in Google (“Family skiing at Vogel Lake Bohinj”) by adding inverted commas your blog post comes up third in Google, so your posts are being indexed.

Google apply all sorts of criteria for their search results and these include age of site, authority, size of page (word count), SEO of the page, social shares and more. Over 2 hundred metrics in fact.

Don’t despair. The more that you post, the more Google will pay attention to you.

Thanks for posting about Yoast. That’s very helpful

Liz
    Participant

Thanks for your support Alan.

nata
    Participant

I wanted to clarify, images are also better to have URL matching?

alan egan
    Keymaster

Image titles are best if they describe what the image shows (using some keywords where suitable)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.