Password instructions will be e-mailed to you
Confirmation will be e-mailed to you
Lost Password
Register
Dismiss
Dismiss

Hi! I'm Donna.

Home Forums Introduce Yourselves Hi! I'm Donna.

This topic contains 1 reply, has 2 voices, and was last updated by  Remi Thackrey 7 months, 1 week ago.

• Author

Donna
    Participant

I’m excited to have found Vacation Soup. I started a short term rental on my farm, Morning Song, 4 years ago. I started with airbnb, then added VRBO, flipkey, bedandbreakfast.com, farmstay.us, and a few others. Then, as my actual farm income became smaller and smaller as our produce delivery service got taken over by Amazon type delivery services, we added another unit, then another, and finally a 4th unit to our portfolio of farmstay offerings on our 20 acre family farm. We hover around 50% direct bookings from my website, which I’ve edited to focus entirely on my rental division. (We only sell our produce to large San Diego or Los Angeles distributors, now…no retail, no need for a website.)  I’ve been blogging for many years about farming and local food, and would like continue to blog…but to refocus the blog..just like I refocused my website for the purpose of promoting our farmstay experience. I’ve built a few websites, but I do have to knash my teeth every time I start from scratch. There’s a lot to learn and I get busy and forget how I did something and have to start all over googling how I did something. I back my site up every day to cover my butt in case I do something incredibly stupid and delete or damage it. I had a web developer build my current website a few years ago using a WP template I chose, and then I took it over; and have been adding to my WP knowledge ever since. I tweak it constantly…it’s a work in progress and could use some professional input, but it’s not in the budget. I hope to learn a lot here!

Remi Thackrey
    Participant

Hi Donna,

Great to have you with us. It is fascinating reading about you businesses. I think the one thing I get from this is that businesses are constantly changing. Change is the ‘new normal’. Just like your own website needs to constantly be evolving. It is quite inspiring reading about how you have adapted your thoughts and actions to the environment you find yourself in. I think we will have a lot to learn from you. Welcome to the Soup.

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.