Password instructions will be e-mailed to you
Confirmation will be e-mailed to you
Lost Password
Register
Dismiss
Dismiss

Nearest Accomodations

Home Forums The Soup Nearest Accomodations

This topic contains 17 replies, has 4 voices, and was last updated by  Merrill Lunt 6 months, 2 weeks ago.

• Author

Merrill Lunt
    Participant

Hi – My property is listed in the Caribbean Magazine. When I go in the magazine, I see all of my posts, but when I scroll down, my property doesn’t show up under “Nearest Accommodations” – is there something I need to do so my property shows up?

alan egan
    Keymaster

Francis is looking at this

@francis

Merrill Lunt
    Participant

Hi Alan, just checking back in. I looked at the Caribbean magazine today, and again my posts show up, but my accommodation does not.

alan egan
    Keymaster

Hello Merrill, I can see your property. It displays next to your posts and in the Caribbean magazine

Merrill Lunt
    Participant

Hi Alan, Maybe I am doing something wrong? When I click on the Caribbean magazine, I see all of my posts. Then I scroll down to nearest accommodations & my property does not show up – only 4 show up, and they are all in Coral Bay, US Virgin Islands.

alan egan
    Keymaster

If you click on the more like this button you will see your property

calabashcottages
    Participant

I have the opposite problem. My houses show up in the Caribbean magazine but my posts don’t.  Am I doing something wrong?

Also when I look for my location with the following:

St John, St. John, Virgin Islands

St. John, Virgin Islands

Virgin Islands, St. John

Virgin Islands, St. John, USVI

My houses show up but again my posts do not show up.  The only other St john listing is  “Escape at Grande Bay”.  They do much better and more frequent posts than I do using the above search terms only my houses show up and their villa does not.

If I try searching Coral Bay St John “Escape at Grande Bay” posts show up (again mine don’t) and their villa does too but it is not located in Coral Bay.

I know this is a work in progress and I have no problem being patient but just wanted to pass this along in case you were not aware.  Thanks!  Susan

Hi Susan,

Your posts in St John are not showing because the location (latitude and longitude) are incorrect, they are set to 18.3 and 64.7, somewhere in the Arabian Sea. Calabash Cottages should be roughly 18.329914, -64.708898 (note the -ve).
    This is a very common error as copy and paste often does not copy the -ve sign.
    In your waiter, please navigate to Vacation Soup / Destination tab and enter the correct latitude and longitude. This acts as the default for all new posts, although you can set a specific latitude/longitude for each post. I will change your 38 posts to the location of Calabash now, however if you want to specifically position some of your posts, please edit them and it will update the soup automatically.
    Please note, if you edit a previous post you *must* set the latitude & longitude for it, or it will move back to the Arabian Sea.
    F

calabashcottages
    Participant

Thank you, Francis.  If you have already updated my posts I am still not seeing them on St John searches.  Also, I know there is a way to hold back posts from VS.  I have been trying to figure out how to do this but I can’t seem to do that.  Can you please give me some guidance on that?  I specifically do not want outdated specials showing nor an old post dated 8/11/2017 before we were hit by a devastating hurricane.

Hi,

The posts are now showing in St John, but below Peter’s (frequent) posts due to the sort issue I discussed with you and Peter. I am working on a method to arrange them better.

F

calabashcottages
    Participant

Thanks, Francis.  Mine are showing up in the Caribbean magazine.  Anyway to get rid of the inappropriate ones? Pre hurricane on August 11 and one that shows which restaurants were closing for hurricane season and are now gone permanently) Also outdated specials.  Thanks.

calabashcottages
      Participant

Wouldn’t date entered be a good sort order?

We are trying combinations of (mainly) date and distance and reviewing their effects in different destinations to get the best balance.

Hi, to get rid of the inappropriate ones, you can edit them in the Waiter plugin, and then conceal them. This is shown in the Release Notes tab if that helps.

D

Merrill Lunt
    Participant

Hi Again, Ok, so i know i’ve been lax with writing blogs recently. But again, in the Caribbean, under nearest accomodations, I see a bunch of Florida rentals show up – not my property, which is in the Caribbean. I don’t mean to be a pain, but this is what concerned me on VRBO – if someone is searching for the Caribbean – wouldn’t they want the Caribbean? Not Florida? help.

Hi Merril, We are tuning the sorting at the moment so there will be changes as we try new methods and examine them in different locations. I will come back here when we have optimised it.

F

Merrill Lunt
        Participant

Thank you. Will look forward to the update 🙂

calabashcottages
    Participant

Agreed. I also see Florida rentals showing up in the Caribbean.  None of my guests would consider Florida a reasonable substitute.

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.