Password instructions will be e-mailed to you
Confirmation will be e-mailed to you
Lost Password
Register
Dismiss
Dismiss

Thoughts, Ideas And Brainwaves

Home Forums Creating A Vacation Rental Website Thoughts, Ideas And Brainwaves

This topic contains 26 replies, has 10 voices, and was last updated by  alan egan 11 months, 3 weeks ago.

• Author

alan egan
    Keymaster

If you have an idea that could make this course or website better please add it here or discuss things between yourselves

Shannon Knight
    Participant

I would love a content checklist. If there is already one, I’ve missed it.

Shannon Knight
    Participant

I’m watching Module 2: Hosting and WordPress Installation and Alan mentions that you should have your content ready at this point. Did I miss this step in Module 1 or Module 2?  I know it’s photos, listing description, etc. just intuitively from watching the previous videos, but I don’t recall a specific list mentioned in those videos or offered as a printable. I’m just thinking that people completely new to VR’s might need a list. Maybe I’ve completely overlooked it right in front of my face :). That’s very possible!

Thanks,

Shannon

Louise Brace
      Keymaster

Hi Shannon

I am Louise Brace. I am working with Alan in the Learning Centre. Thanks for getting in touch! The content preparation video is number 3 in Module 2. It was originally in Module one. So it now may seem a little backward!

And on the right hand sidebar we have four downloads for you to use:

1. Techlist – lists image and content resources, sizes, etc.
      2. Course Curriculum – a list of each topic and module, which you can tick off as you go along
      3. Course Completion Formula – hints and tips on staying the course and finishing your website
      4. Module 3 Video Timelines – a list of each video in Module 3 (build stage) and a timeline of what happens at what time during the video.

Hope that helps!

Louise

• This reply was modified 1 year, 1 month ago by  Louise Brace.
      • This reply was modified 1 year, 1 month ago by  alan egan.

Shannon Knight
    Participant

Thank you, Louise. I haven’t made it to the 3rd video yet in module 2. I’ll look forward to that one.

Finally getting time to go through the content.

Comment about getting started: On the first page of the learning center, down where the “get started” button is, there is also a comment to “click on the first module to get started”. When I first hit the get started button, nothing happened, so I clicked the “first module” and I was brought back to the same page I was on.  It was fairly confusing as I kept hitting the first module, and the page refreshed with nothing new.

I think the “click on the first module” comment needs to be removed, so people just click on the “get started” BUTTON.

— Beth

Louise Brace
      Keymaster

Hi Beth

That wasn’t happening a couple of days ago! Thanks for pointing it out. I’ll see what’s happened and get it fixed.

Louise

Louise Brace
      Keymaster

Hi Beth

That wasn’t happening a couple of days ago! Thanks for pointing it out. I’ll see what’s happened and get it fixed.

Louise

And another comment – I already have my domain name (even though I like the branding idea already, I have been using my home name and have items with my home name and logo already made, so I won’t be changing that). I also have a basic home page up on my website with contact information. I don’t want to blow that away while I put the new website together, so I am creating my new site on another domain that I own but am not using.

So at the bottom of the page “Setting up hosting and WordPress installation” – module 2, video 2, there is a place to put the domain name and the host. Should I put in my FINAL / REAL domain or my temporary domain??

I really don’t want to go further until I get the answer (and maybe you can update that page for those of us doing temporary domain names.)

Thanks!

Beth

alan egan
    Keymaster

Hi Beth,

It doesn’t really matter at this stage. Your temporary url will be best but if you have put your existing site in that won’t matter

• This reply was modified 1 year, 1 month ago by  alan egan.

First of all, great work to everyone!!!

My only confusion was to find the actual course itself. The link from my email takes me here… https://learn.vacationsoup.com/?__s=eibjnqepd5svqwockvki which is a page with 4 videos.

I think you may want  organize these videos to make it a bit more clearer. The link to …”Build a vacation website” is really the starting point to the course and the other videos while very useful perhaps should be moved somewhere else. I think my confusion stems from the fact you have multiple courses so maybe identifying them a little better.

I’m looking forward to moving towards your platform.

Marshall

Thank you for that very helpful feedback Marshall, it is really useful to get constructive feedback that helps us continually improve.

Welcome, and please do keep the ideas flowing.

F

Matt Elder
    Participant

Hi! Once we have our site up and running, is there a plugin/tutorial that could be recommended for setting up site statistics? After going to all this work, would be interesting to see how much and which ‘topic’ / ‘blog’ post is being consumed the most. Once a number of people get up and running, would be interesting to see from others what posts/pages seem to get the most hits / interest/ questions.

alan egan
    Keymaster

Hi Matt,

This video may help with Google Analytics (there are more on Youtube). There are other analytics options but Google’s is the best out there

Matt Elder
      Participant

excellent. Thank you.

If you already have a website that you want to continue using until this one is completed, or perhaps even keep 2 websites running, do you see anything wrong with this approachy?

Remi Thackrey
      Participant

Hi Kevin,

I see nothing wrong with either approach, as long as they have different domain names. It means that you get “2 bites of the apple” on google. You must monitor how well each performs through analytics. If you have an established customer base on your original site and the other is performing much better, migrate them over by adding a huge heading on the original site saying “We have moved here: http://www.newsite.whatever“.  I have done this and my new site gets quite a lot of ‘referrals’ from the old site. (BTW my old site was built with one of the generic site building hmm.WIX.mmmm sites and I paid a lot more than I do with Siteground) .

Hi Remi,

Many thanks. I chatted with SiteGround on line. They offered several answers including just adding a sub account to my current website. currently I have Solerproperties.com I could simply add Solerproperties.com/site2 to access a 2nd site. I however am opting to keep a distinct site for the 2nd website. After we see how the sites perform before eliminating one. I was quoted $2500 to have a site done by Go-daddy. I did not move forward with them.

Matt Elder
    Participant

Do you have any suggestions for basic/free plugins that could be used on the site to help capture email addresses, like “Subscribing for exclusive discounts” or similar? Just something to get people started and then later on, can look at all singing & dancing services.

alan egan
    Keymaster

Matt Elder
      Participant

Brilliant. Thank you!

alan egan
    Keymaster

Glad to help Matt,

I have added a new “More Resources’ section (in the main menu) in the learning centre.

There are over 400 video tutorials on all sorts of subjects

Translations update…. Only by chance did I notice that the language was set as a default to the US. For me I felt it best for GB , so I updated the language and then itself updated all the SEO etc etc. Which on hindsight surely is important to me as most no I will say ALL our clients at present come from the GB. Perhaps not important . I would be interested what others thought. 

Louise Brace
      Keymaster

It’s very important to use the language of your guests. If they are all from the UK, then definitely you should be using British English. It’s always interesting to study opportunities for opening up to new markets, and US English is recognised or recognized 🙂 by the rest of the world. But us Brits are funny about how we read our English content. So I think you’ve done the right thing on this occasion.

Louise

Louise Brace
    Keymaster

Having said that Google recognises British and American English as being one and the same. So you wouldn’t NOT be found in Google.co.uk for using a z instead of an s, or putting center instead of centre. Ideally you should be writing your own Yoast meta descriptions and titles anyway.

Louise

Matt Elder
    Participant

In the vacation soup plugin would it be possible to have the “Nextscripts: Soical Networks Auto Poster – Post Options” appear at the bottom of the page as it would on a “Posts” page? Reason being is at the moment, if you do a post through Vacation Soup, it is just going to accept the SNAP default options and you have no opportunity to tweak these. For sites like instagram, you need to be able to tweak and customise as they are quite strict on what can be feed through.

alan egan
    Keymaster

I’ll add this to the list of requests Matt

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.