Password instructions will be e-mailed to you
Confirmation will be e-mailed to you
Lost Password
Register
Dismiss
Dismiss

Where in the world are you?

Home Forums The Soup Where in the world are you?

This topic contains 7 replies, has 4 voices, and was last updated by  sherene@mystarvr.com 6 months, 1 week ago.

• Author

I know this was mentioned a couple of weeks ago, but as a traveler (and even as and owner) I am so very frustrated with so many of Vacation Soup’s exciting blog posts! Don’t make me leave the page, go to google, just to find out where you are! I don’t know Marco Island, Anna Maria island (not sure why, but I assumed New England for a long time…), Ceret, Newby bridge, Exuma etc.

Sorry, just my view from the cheap seats. We all put a lot into our blog posts, just don’t forget the obvious to you is unknown to someone else. We need VS to succeed for everyone!

Maria Lamb
    Participant

I agree — I have my settings so I see all the new posts on the top of my FB feed, but for many of them, I have no idea where they are.  We should make sure to put the state and/or country and also city or region in the title.

alan egan
    Keymaster

I’m not sure that this is that big a problem. People looking for a holiday on Anna Maria island or on Exuma already know where those places are.

What is more of an issue is that people are posting via the WordPress post creator and they don’t add any destination at all.

I thought part of beauty of VS was to attract all kinds of visitors in the planning stage of a vacation. “Where do we want to go?!!”    That’s how I have wanted to browse the site. But very frustrating to see something cool, would like to go there, but all it tells me is “XYZ Bay”, “XYZ town”, “XYZ island”. I just move on and don’t even look it up any more.

I love the VS platform and idea, but as a traveler, I’m already looking elsewhere……  sigh.

alan egan
    Keymaster

How do you feel that this could be improved Sherene? If you are frustrated, I’m frustrated. Let’s see what we can do to improve this situation.

Maybe there could be a small constant/static/evergreen (not sure of the terminology) header at the top of every post with City, Area, State, Country. Just something seen at first glance, then the exciting travel post.

I just keep thinking I can’t be the only one who doesn’t know where I want to go, on exactly what dates. But I do usually have a budget that lets me know how far away I can realistically travel when planning my vacation.

I May even know I want to go to Florida, But there are thousands of tourist places in Florida. Help me focus in.

Thanks for asking Alan. 🙂

Hi Sherene,

I am looking at that area soon, and will consider what can be done to improve it.

Sadly there is no one-size-fits-all solution as the City, Area, State, Country is appropriate in the US, but not in many other countries, and it will often take up too much space on the small post ‘cards’, but some indication of where the post originates from would help travellers browsing. Let’s see what we can do.

F

Thanks Francis. I understand the complexity in dealing with global locales. Just hoping there is someway to have a geographic area defined at first glance. I know as an owner (and promoter of other local events etc.) we get wrapped up in our own thing and simply forget to think “outside” our box. Trying to remember to add it to every post is not super practical. Takes title space and we are going to forget. When we very first entered our property into the VS plug in it asked for neighborhood etc. Even though owners put that in, it didn’t give enough geographic description to know where that was if you were not already familiar with the area.

Thanks for all you do! I know you guys have a big job!

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.