Password instructions will be e-mailed to you
Confirmation will be e-mailed to you
Lost Password
Register
Dismiss
Dismiss

XML sitemaps

Tagged: 

This topic contains 9 replies, has 3 voices, and was last updated by  RMoore 7 months, 3 weeks ago.

• Author

Maria Lamb
    Participant

This week I had a free consultation with a social media ‘expert’ (I assume she is probably around 22).  She told me to check my website on woorank.com for errors and suggestions.  The results were pretty good — the website is ‘in the red’ for speed and no sitemaps.  How do I go about generating XML sitemaps?  (And are they necessary?)

alan egan
    Keymaster

Sitemaps are a good idea – They are easy to add via the Yoast plugin

RMoore
    Participant

Yoast SEO plugin which comes with Alan’s template should automatically create a site map. Perhaps it is not turned on withing the Yoast settings?
    Personally i turned the Yoast sitemap off and have a separate plugin to generate it. The site you mention wants a credit card for the free trail. I’m always suspicious of these sites as they often bill your card even when you don’t continue after the trail. Generally i am very sceptical of any company trying to sell me SEO. There seems to be a number of other similar sites doing this analysis that don’t require a card to take the trial.

Richard

Maria Lamb
    Participant

The woman recommended the free version of Woorank to test the website — you can get the basics without signing up (just not the details on how to go about actually fixing).

Maria Lamb
    Participant

Alan — I’m watching the video, but when I go to the menu and choose SEO, there is no menu item for XML sitemaps. Is that a premium feature?

RMoore
    Participant

Maria Lamb
    Participant

Okay – so I did that and it showed me the sitemap, so there is one.  However, when I use both that woorank site AND the google search console and look for sitemaps — both woorank and google say I don’t have one.   ??

RMoore
    Participant

I have a feeling I experienced the same issue which is why I used a different plugin.

Richard

Maria Lamb
    Participant

Richard — what plug in do you use?

RMoore
    Participant

Google XML Sitemaps.

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.